Hierro: "Opportunities pass and do not come back"

Unknown 2:55 م |

It is one of the important figures in the history of the Spanish selection . Fernando Hierro was called 89 times for the national team and played in four FIFA World Cup ™ . However, it has not been the same with Roja success in terms of titles with the club which has revealed Real Madrid.

FIFA.com made ​​a little trip back in time with the former central defender so that we do share memories he has kept some editions of the most important tournament of his life.

Fernando Hierro , what image comes to mind when you say " Spain 1982 " ?
The World we played at home ! I was 14 and I watched it on television. Naranjito , our mascot, has withstood time ! I remember an enthusiastic and motivated by this World Cup countries, although sportingly , we were not able to go very far. I remember many other things : the purpose of Marco Tardelli and his final celebration of the joy of Italian Prime Minister in the gallery and Diego Maradona, my great idol.

Rapidly advance the film and let us in Italy in 1990. This is your first experience in the World Cup as a player . What memories do you keep ?
For me it meant living for the first time the daily tension of a World . I was young when I arrived in the Spanish selection , I had little experience, but I came to realize that represented this competition , degree , everything that there is behind .. . I realized that I was privileged because I had the chance to participate in a World Cup . When you are a player , you go step by step. Now , I think that some incredible players who had an extraordinary level club , could not go.

I have not had the opportunity to play, I 've seen everything from the bench , but it was a wonderful experience . The images I have in mind ? The three goals of Michel against the Republic of Korea, Germany champion ... For me, the tactical level was not high in this tournament, but the competitiveness was outstanding. We were eliminated in the second round ( against Yugoslavia ) . We felt we find facing a wall that we could not overcome.

What do you think the United States in 1994 ?
At the organizational level , the World Cup has proved perfect . Everything went like clockwork . The stadiums were full when we had been worried because football was not a very popular sport in this country. We had a big party. We found a fantastic team of Bulgaria with a spectacular game with Brazil and a decisive players.

Next is France . In 1998 , Spain did not even qualify for the knockout stages. Is this your biggest disappointment ?
We had a great team . It was time to enjoy the meeting of two generations : the ancients had accumulated experience and youth were talented . I call it a great opportunity missed . We believed that we could and we left after the third meeting . Here you measure the importance of a bad day. I remember after our first match lost against Nigeria, we returned to the hotel and have not been able to sleep. At four o'clock in the morning, we analyze further the game. I shared my room with Rafa Alkorta and we could not understand how we could lose.

Korea / Japan 2002 was the final point of your international career with Spain. How did you feel ?
Opportunities pass and do not come back. This group progressed. We suffered a lot against Ireland in the second round , but we stood firm. The team was fit, very united and very confident ... But we met the host country and , even if we have not delivered a great performance , I think we did a respectable game and we deserved more . Me, I had already decided that this would be my fourth and last World Cup, the end of my international career . It was an honor to wear the jersey of the Roja for 12 years and I retired at 34, being part of the eleven ideal of the biggest competitions. When you leave the World Cups and major events , we keep in mind the greatness of these tournaments . Yes, there is pressure , a lot of tension ... But we are privileged sacred because we could defend the colors of our country at a World Cup. I consider myself privileged .

In the next edition, you found yourself in the skin of the bear ...
Germany 2006 , I was recently retired . I decided to watch the World Cup at home, like a spectator in a passive position , but by working with the media. This is how you really know what your country lives . Fortunately, when you're player , you do not notice it, because you are more isolated and focused on the purely sporting aspect . Sometimes football is more aware of what the tournament raises and passion it generates . This is what happened to me again in 2010 , when I had the opportunity to go to South Africa, as athletic director , much more involved in the organization and daily life with the players and the coach . Images and information coming to us , but we would never have imagined what awaited us in Madrid.

Has represented the victory in Johannesburg ?
We all knew that one day we should take that damned wall quarterfinals and that from there , Spain would fly and feel free . This victory brought tranquility and peace to many generations of Spanish footballers. That day was relaxing because it meant that we no longer would hear that Spain had never won the World Cup, we were an eternal promise ... This was a wonderful satisfaction.

But there were difficult moments ...
When we arrived , everything was negative ... They doubted the organization and had reservations about the stages ... Finally, it was a wonderful World ! We were delighted with the welcome we reserved the population there. From a sporting point of view, after the match against Switzerland, we experienced an incredibly difficult time. But the serenity did us good. Serenity shown by Vicente del Bosque, our environment , the players and the Federation has contributed to our success. And that is pretty Cup ... and very heavy !

And Brazil 2014?
When Switzerland beat us , all the world said " no team having lost the first match earns a World Cup ." Now no means defending team title ... In short, it is the challenge. Statistics are made ​​to be contradicted .

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق